AKC S.T.A.R. PUPPPY PROGRAM
K9 SCENT SERIES
REALLY RELIABLE RECALL
OBEDIENCE CLASS POLICIES
- All Classes are in 50-60 minute sessions.
- Pre-registration and payment is required ONE WEEK before the class start date. Registration forms submitted less than one week before the class start date will be returned. NO registration forms will be accepted the first night of class.
- All classes are limited in size in order to provide individual attention to each student and are filled on a First-Come-First-Served basis.
- NO REFUNDS will be made after the first night of class.
- If a class does not meet the minimum number of students by one week before the starting date, the class may be canceled or re-scheduled.
- Applicants shall be liable to SOTC for a fee of $40.00 in the event a check is returned for non-payment.
General Class Policies
- Please plan to arrive 10 minutes early for your class. This will enable you to have time to walk your dog and check in with your instructor.
- Do not feed your dog during the 4 hours before class. Feed your dog after class.
- Bring some small SOFT treats (no bigger than a cheerio) such as hot dogs, or string cheese and a cheerful attitude to class with you each week.
Collar and Leads
All Puppy and Beginner Levels I & II classes require dogs to be trained on buckle, martingale or head-halter collars and a 4 - 6 foot leash.
Harnesses are allowed only at the instructor's discretion. No chain, prong or similar type collars are allowed. No flexi or retractable leads are allowed.
Your instructor will help you choose which type of collar & leash will work best in training your dog. Various collars and leads are available at class for a reasonable price.
All classes above Beginner II have the instructor's discretion about types of collars.
Check with the information listed in the class schedule web page for the policy for specific classes.
Our classes are taught using positive training methods, including "lure and reward" training. We do not allow harsh corrections or rough handling.
Please be advised that only tennis shoes and flat enclosed shoes are permitted in the training ring during our classes. NO OPEN-TOED/HEELED OR HIGH-HEELED SHOES.
NO SANDALS OR CLOGS. Anyone wearing other shoes will have to sit outside the training ring and monitor the class.
Dogs that are in heat, sick or injured
If your dog is in heat, DO NOT bring her to class. However, you should attend the classes so that the lessons may be practiced at home.
This policy also applies to injured and ill dogs.
Uncontrollable, Disruptive or Aggressive Dogs
Any dog that is uncontrollable, that disturbs the class, or is aggressive will be dismissed; or at the discretion of the instructor, the owner may be asked to muzzle the dog or work the dog in a separate area. We will make every effort to help you get your dog under control. However, we cannot accept the liability of aggression. If necessary, the handler and dog may be referred to an animal behaviorist.
We will only accept Junior Handlers age 10 & older. Each Junior Handler is required to have a responsible adult present.
If it is determined that the size or temperament of the dog makes it difficult for the Junior Handler to control the dog, the accompanying adult will be asked to handle the dog.
Dog Walking Area
Make sure your dog is walked before each class to prevent accidents. Each owner is responsible for cleaning up after his dog. There is a fenced potty yard on the south end of the building and there are plastic bags available at different locations around the building. Please pick up after your dog and dispose of the waste bag in designated container. If you walk your dog anywhere else, it is still necessary that you pick up after your dog and dispose of the waste bag in designated container. Thank you for helping us to maintain our beautiful facility and surroundings.